Tuesday 13 August 2013

Et tu, Brute

William Shakespeare,



He was pure genius.
I had a hate-love relationship with him in school. I loved Julius Caesar,  hated Macbeth and loved Merchant of Venice. Romeo and Juliet was beautiful, The tempest was like a conjurer's dream and Hamlet was pure boring. But when I say hate-love, whatever I felt the stories always demanded a strong reaction. They couldn't be ignored. It demanded of you to form an opinion with real raw emotions. Today we read books -  good and bad. There are books that make you go crazy. The alchemist did that for me. But there are so many that just pass by and you never look back. He could never make that happen. 
That was his magic. 


 I had a phase when I tried talking like his characters.The dramatization, poetic emotions, passionate characters, murder and insecurities, love and lust. It enthralled me. His works were life-like. His characters imperfect. They were like you and I. They were just more honest about their emotions.

Of course, now there is this new theory saying he was they and Shakespeare was a pseudonym.

His language was arcane but somehow his words touched you. They had a certain depth in them. He created an atmosphere that set perfect pictures in front of your eyes. All books do, but these were vivid colored pictures. I haven't read any of his works since school but the stories and phrases were he kinds that remain etched in your memory. I still fear the Ides of March (Something Bad always happens) , I wish life had time pauses where I could come out and recite a Soliloquy. In fact there are times when my mother catches me talking to myself (Read: I am not mad) , and I put the blame on Shakespeare. I do a little literary genius strut and tell her its my version of a Soliloquy. My inner goddess does a cat stretch with her chin up. 

The point being,  we owe him so much today.
We don't realize but there is so much we say, so much we do, the thoughts we feel, the wit that we think is ours -  that we owe to him .

Knock- knock !Who's there? - Yes, we joke because of him.  
I smell "Foul Play" but I'm going to stand by my opinions, "Come what May." 
Lovers that we are we say , "Love is blind" and he is the "Heart of hearts."
 To pamper our ego we quote, "The world is my oyster" and the incessant pride is what we owe to him. 
On confessional days we "Wear our hearts on our sleeves". 
A beggar is a "Sorry sight" and a stupid man is a "Laughing Stock."
 When we are nervous we waited with "Baited breath"  and it "makes your hair stand on ends" and once the results are out "What's done is done." 
When someone dies, "He breathed his last" and "He vanished into thin air" and then follows the philosophy of life and death and how nothing is permanent , 'All the world's a stage".
There is "Good Riddance" of the "Green Eyed Monster" because  we finally "Sent him packing." 
"For Goodness' sake" let me sleep "I haven't slept a wink". 
The "Naked Truth" is that we "break the ice" and make new friends  because "When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions." 
We say good people have "A heart of gold" and bad people are "Devil's incarnates" 
We have "Seen better days" but "Too much of a good thing" is bad.  

We shouldn't be "Faint hearted" and we should "Fight fire with Fire"  because once the "Game is up" we will all be "as dead as door-nails."
 Life is a "Full Circle" and we should "Play fair" to make it a "brave New World." before  the "Game if up" 

Oh, Shakespeare, you were a "A piece of Work" 








2 comments: