Sunday 16 June 2013

The Stage

This thought stemmed when I was watching a typical Bollywood Award function ten minutes before I started writing. For the record, I love Bollywood, I am a typical filmy Indian girl, Just gotten out of my teenage. I criticize the movies once in a while and act all cool but deep down I breathe,eat and thrive on Bollywood. Mindless comedies make me giggle, Ranbir Kapoor makes me go red, Old songs make me cheesy and Yash Chopra movies mesmerize me. I love the Kapoors and the Roshan and I loathe the certain Mr.SRK. I think dancing around trees in white sarees is sexy and yes, Sarees are sexy. Showing less is more and more is less. Love, Sex aur Dhoka darlin' is a part of the deal and nothing in this world beats a cheesy Karan Johar MostlyROMTryingtobeaCOM.

Yes, I went offtrack. I was talking about the stage.
I remember a quote- the usual,popular,over-used quote by THE William Shakespeare "All the world's a Stage."
It is, it actually is. Because you feel alive and kicking and you feel like yourself when you're living and you switch from one role to another; you cry and shout and love and kiss, there is passion and anger and glee and you try to justify every role you play, but somewhere down the line we forget to take it all in, the happy and the sad and get stuck in the rut and that is why there is A STAGE.


THE STAGE; THE ACTUAL STAGE. The Auditorium, The Wooden Dancefloor Stage, The Echoing Musical Stage, The Theater, The Broadway Stage, The Theater in the Round. It could also be a Canvas, A paper, A book, A stone or a cloth.
These little Magical areas of the world are one of the reasons I look forward to life. These surfaces are what makes me bear with the rut. I have been on stage an average of 10-14 times a year, and those are the moments when I FEEL ALIVE.
I wonder why people fear the stage. Everyone Fears the stage, but fear is always of the unknown and that is why you have to start seeing the stage as a familiar known friend.
The first 10 seconds, you are a jittery-tongue-tied ball of a gazillion emotions but once those 10 seconds pass you are a Space-Ship that takes you to a world far away.

When I went for my first singing performance I was just 9 years old. It was a tiny me, on a big red stage  and an audience of about 500 people and I was supposed to sing a classical Indian Song based on Raaga Malhar.  I climbed up the 4 stairs and as I stepped onto the red wooden surface I had an electrifying experience. I felt alone and I had goose-bumps. I shivered as I looked at my Guruji and he gave me a reassuring smile. That is when the 9 year old Me, opened my little mouth and there was a voice that was much more from the vocal chords.That's the first time in 9 years when I felt effortlessly happy.

This structure is to feel Alive, not just exist. It is to feel the blood rushing through your veins, The fluster, the excitement, the agitation, the thrill : It makes your heart beat at thrice the speed. This structure is to create something new, to make a legacy, a dream come true. It is to spread your wings and fly in the vast skies of art. It is to tell a story that touches hearts, breaks a few, makes people fall in love and the ones who listen also feel alive. It is to sing with your hearts glee, and dance moving every muscle of your body and say words and sentences that touch souls of people.
Its to display the power of the Human.It is to speak about Emotions and Insecurities and Dramatize the Sapiens. It is to display works of science and literature. It is to rhyme and create meaning from mere alphabets and speak about infinite topics. It is the DNA of Art. It gives Art the energetic spark to create an unstoppable fire. It is to display paintings and sculptures and Great People. It is to give you your 5 Minutes of greatness. To make you believe that you have that spark in you; the sole reason why you exist.

The stage can be personified as the Human Body. It is the Human Body; and the Art is the soul. Without Art, the stage is lifeless just like without soul the body is dust. When the soul is full of passion the body can go to any limit and that is the case with the stage. When the art is from the veins of passionate human blood the stage is set in fire. The lights and the crowds are the mere objects that are attracted to the energy of this wonderful place. And that is why when the body, the soul, the stage and the art come together it is that moment in time when every other person around revels in the energy.




That is THE STAGE.









1 comment: